INDIA LEGALISED SAME SEX MARRIAGE
‘We are criminalised for who we are’
In a historic decision, India’s Supreme Court has ruled that gay sex is no longer a criminal offence.
The ruling overturns a 2013 judgement that upheld a colonial-era law, known as section 377, under which gay sex is categorised as an “unnatural offence”.
The court has now ruled discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation is a fundamental violation of rights.
Campaigners outside the court cheered and some broke down in tears as the ruling was handed down.
Although public opinion in India’s biggest cities has been in favour of scrapping the law, there remains strong opposition among religious groups and in conservative rural communities
SOURCE: BBC NEWS
- Previous THE METHODIST CHURCH GHANA ELECTED NEW PRESIDING BISHOP
- Next FORESTRY COMMISSION IN A/R DESTROYS 8-HECTARE OF FOOD CROPS IN DESIRI
You may also like...
- ABOUT YOUTH ADORATION
- UK POLICE PLEAD FOR INFORMATION ON AFRICAN BOY ALLEGEDLY KILLED AS ‘HUMAN SACRIFICE’ IN LONDON
- NANA ADDO’S ECONOMIC MANAGEMENT THE WORST IN 40 YEARS-KWAKYE OFOSU
- COUP LEADERS FREEZE ALL GOVERNMENT ACCOUNTS IN GUINEA
- 1D1F: NANA ADDO COMMISSIONS GHC10M CASSAVA & YAM FACTORY IN KRACHI EAST DISTRICT